Amy Edgar, APRN, CRNP, FNP-C is a family nurse practitioner and founder of the Children’s Integrated Center for Success (CICS). She is also the mother of a child with autism. Amy has been helping families whose children have neurodevelopmental differences like autism, ADHD, depression, and anxiety. Amy’s practice at CICS is an integrated delivery system, and she’s keenly interested in tools to help with self-regulation and safe, non-invasive innovations to complement and reduce dependence on prescription medications with unwanted side effects.
Amy first tried Apollo for herself to deal with a high-stress work environment and found that it helped her to stay calm and focus for longer periods of time. As a non-addictive, side-effect free device that is also fun for kids, Amy was excited to test Apollo with neurodiverse children in her clinical practice.
Data were obtained from within a precision neurodevelopmental pediatrics clinic from 15 patients aged 7 to 17 across a breadth of diagnostic categories, like mood and anxiety disorders, as well as impulse control, autism, and ADHD. Observations from clinicians, parents, and the patients, were documented before and after using Apollo during a typical therapy session.
Preliminary Outcome: Apollo showed measurable improvements in mood, behavior, engagement, and stress reduction within minutes in all participants.
Mood and Behavior
- 100% of patients showed improvements
- Pre-intervention anxiety rated at 6 out of 10 or greater for all patients
- Post-intervention anxiety dropped by 50% for 14 out of 15 patients
- Reduction in anxiety in 5 out of 6 patients tested with a history of clinical anxiety disorder
- Reduction in impulsivity/hyperactivity in 9 out of 10 patients with a prior history of ADHD
The numbers look great – but the reactions of her patients and their families were even more exciting.
From the kids:
- “This helped me sit still for the entire time!”
- “I wish I could wear this everywhere I go…”
- “I’ve never felt this calm before in my whole life…”
From the parents:
- “I was surprised at how quickly I saw a change in energy level and anxiety!”
- “We’re thrilled to have options in addition to medication!”
From the clinicians:
- “I had no idea what to expect, the results on energy and anxiety were amazing!”
- “I saw a level of engagement with the child I had not seen before. I’ve been treating this child for two years!”
Three therapists independently validating Apollo in-session with children with treatment-resistant ADHD, Autism Spectrum Disorder, and anxiety disorders reported that Apollo use in therapy significantly increased feelings of calm, eye contact, and functional engagement in the psychotherapy process.
The Apollo Neuro team has been thrilled to work with Amy Edgar in a pediatric context. The results are incredibly promising for parents and kids with neurodevelopmental challenges. While we do not advocate Apollo as a replacement for responsibly prescribed medications, it can be a powerful complement.
“We don’t often get things that are both powerful and helpful and don’t have a downside. Apollo is so easy because there really is no risk – only benefit. For us, Apollo will be the intervention of first choice.”Amy Edgar, APRN, CRNP, FNP-C