Apollo Neuro co-founder, Dr. Dave Rabin MD, PhD, board-certified psychiatrist and neuroscientist shares how he uses Apollo personally (on the daily).
- The vibration should be noticeable and comfortable, but not distracting. Always start with the intensity low (where you just start to feel it) and increase from there gently. You wouldn’t start listening to your music with the volume at 100%, so think about Apollo’s sound waves in the same way, but for your skin instead of your ears.
- Schedule your calm with the new Scheduling feature. Create a customized schedule that automatically plays throughout your day, so you can get into healthy Apollo routines with less thought and effort.
- Tapping both buttons on the device one time will pause or restart the last mode you were using without having to open the app. You can do this anytime including if you wake up in the middle of the night and want to fall back asleep.
- Use it as often as you like. You can’t hurt yourself by using it too much. The more frequently the Apollo wearable is used, the better the biometric improvements we have seen (particularly when consistently used to get the day started and before bed and with sleep). Using the Apollo wearable 3+ hours a day, 5+ days a week, during the day and night yields the best results.
- Wear it your way. Apollo Bands and Clips give you the flexibility to try the Apollo wearable in different places and experiment with what works best for you. Try wearing your Apollo device as a band around the ankle at night when you sleep, and clipped to your clothing on a shirt collar, bra strap, or waistband during the day.
Using it intentionally
Align your mode with your desired goal. The Apollo wearable is particularly great for transitions throughout the day such as waking up, falling asleep, going from work to family time, and from stress to meditation.
Waking up in the morning
Start the morning with Clear and Focused around 20% intensity for 30-60 minutes. Clear and Focused in the morning is Dr. Dave’s personal go-to. For a very gentle wake up, try Rebuild and Recover starting at 30% intensity.
If you’re really tired, set the Apollo wearable to Energy and Wake up with a starting intensity of 10-20% for 15 minutes. This mode is also a favorite for pre-workout and to reduce the need for so much caffeine during the day.
Finding focus in the late morning into the afternoon
Set your wearable to Clear and Focused starting at 20% for 15-60 minutes – Continue with this mode as needed throughout the day to keep your energy up and your head clear. People have told us that this mode also works really well for relieving headaches and nausea as well.
For creative work or socializing
For clear creative work or social flow (like socializing with friends, family, or colleagues when you’re tired after work), use Social and Open starting at 30-40% from 30-60 minutes.
Bouncing back from intense stress of any kind (ie. physical/mental/emotional)
Set the Apollo wearable to Rebuild and Recover starting at 30% for 5-30 minutes.
Recovering after a physical workout
Set the Apollo wearable to Rebuild and Recover starting around 30% for 5-30 minutes to improve recovery. This mode also improves recovery within just 2-3 minutes of use in between sets in interval training.
Unwinding for the evening or meditating
Set the Apollo wearable to Meditation and Mindfulness mode starting at 35% for 15-60 minutes for a calm flow state, to deepen meditations, to reduce restlessness, or for aches and pains.
For intimacy and connection
For deep relaxation or for building connection and intimacy with a loved one, try Relax and Unwind on the ankle starting at 40-50% for 15-30 minutes.
For a good night’s sleep
Before bed, make sure your wearable is on your ankle and set it to Relax and Unwind starting at 40-50% for 15-60 minutes.
Once you're in bed, set the Apollo wearable to Sleep and Renew starting at 50% for 60 minutes.
If you wake in the middle of the night, you can click both buttons on the device once at the same time to reactivate sleep mode to help you fall back asleep and decrease wakeful time in the middle of the night.
In an ongoing sleep study in over 500 people, consistent Apollo wearable users experienced, on average:
- 19% increase in deep sleep
- 14% increase in REM sleep
- 6% increase in total sleep time
- 11% increase in HRV
- 4% decrease in resting heart rate
Notes from Dr. Dave
- The buttons on the wearable are easiest to use when they are facing away from you.
- The Apollo wearable has "airplane mode" that can be activated to turn off all radio communication from the device. It can still be used with the buttons on the last selected settings when in airplane mode.
- It is normal for our bodies to become more sensitive to the vibrations over time, at which point you may find that lower intensities work better and also result in extended battery life.